Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about TOR
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
72 dudes
Hi All,

First time on here.

Stopped last night at 20:15 by two traffic police who were stationery and using a hand held speed device. 41 in a 30.

The female police officer was very friendly and courteous as was I. My fault, no excuses.

Pride has taken a hit as it's my first offence in 42 years of driving!
Officer said it's down to Central Ticket Office as to whether it leads to a Speed Awareness Course or a FPN. She thought as I had a clean license and was within the limit for a course, she saw no reason why it wouldn't be the former.

One question though. If it does go to FPN and points, would the fact that the details on the TOR are incorrect have any bearing?

The offence was recorded as being in Simmonds Road, which does not exist in my town.
I was actually on Symonds Road.
Is there not some minimum standard which requires officers to at least get the location right?

Interested to hear views.

Thanks
Jlc
No defence there I'm afraid.

QUOTE (72 dudes @ Fri, 16 Apr 2021 - 12:55) *
Pride has taken a hit as it's my first offence in 42 years of driving!

I think you mean the first time you've been caught wink.gif

You'll get a course offer to keep your licence clean.

QUOTE (72 dudes @ Fri, 16 Apr 2021 - 12:55) *
The offence was recorded as being in Simmonds Road, which does not exist in my town.
I was actually on Symonds Road.
Is there not some minimum standard which requires officers to at least get the location right?

Should you want to take the matter to court we can explain to you why you'd end up with 4 points and a fine/costs c£1k should you maintain a not guilty plea at trial.
PASTMYBEST
They got the location right, just the spelling wrong
NewJudge
Since the TOR would play no part in the process of prosecuting you (if you allowed it to get that far) the test really is "Does the error put you at a disadvantage?" Since you were stopped at the time, you know where the offence occurred and the police know where it occurred. There is no dispute and the simple spelling error will not help you. If you were to defend the matter in court on the basis of the unclear location, one or both of the officers could be called to give evidence to explain where they stopped you and you would be hard pushed (to put it mildly) to dispute that evidence.
andy_foster
There is no requirement for any written notice with the location, etc. if you were warned at the time of the offence - which you clearly were. Defects in notices that are not required by law do not create a defence to the speeding allegation, regardless of how trivial or significant they are.
72 dudes
Thanks very much for the prompt feedback.

I "look forward" to receiving my offer of a course!

As I said to the police officer, I hold my hands up. It was only when I got home I noticed the spelling mistake.
Jlc
QUOTE (72 dudes @ Fri, 16 Apr 2021 - 16:23) *
It was only when I got home I noticed the spelling mistake.

Worth asking but criminal offences are hard to escape for such minor 'errors'.
72 dudes
I originally posted on April 16 about a TOR after I was stopped for speeding by an officer with a hand held radar gun.

I understand there is no time limit between receiving a TOR and further action. Indeed on the ticket itself, it says that "in busy times" it could be 6-8 weeks before anything else is received.

We're now at 8 weeks. Is anyone aware of delays? Are they waiting for classroom courses to resume after 21st June?
DWMB2
QUOTE (Fredd @ Sat, 9 Jul 2016 - 16:51) *
We operate some "house rules" on the site. Not all of these may be immediately obvious from the TOS, so we've set them out here and will add to them if necessary.

1. We operate a "one case, one thread" rule. This means that you should keep any posts relating to one case (one incident of speeding, one PCN, etc) to a single thread. Do not start multiple topics on the same case.

Add this question onto your previous thread rather than starting a new one.
The Rookie
As above, we have a one case/one thread rule to keep all the facts together, I've asked a Mod to merge (DON'T now post on that thread please).

Once I can see what the facts are I'll reply.
peodude
QUOTE (72 dudes @ Tue, 8 Jun 2021 - 09:44) *
I originally posted on April 16 about a TOR after I was stopped for speeding by an officer with a hand held radar gun.

I understand there is no time limit between receiving a TOR and further action. Indeed on the ticket itself, it says that "in busy times" it could be 6-8 weeks before anything else is received.

We're now at 8 weeks. Is anyone aware of delays? Are they waiting for classroom courses to resume after 21st June?

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't carry on with online courses now. There's significant saving of costs over renting a function room to operate from.
72 dudes
Apologies for breaking the house rules. I did search for my original post but found they only went back 28 days.

There's obviously some way to go back further which I'm not aware of.

Any ideas on the usual time between receiving a TOR and hearing something further?
DWMB2
For future ref, to get your old topics, click on your username next to any of your posts and click "Find member's Topics" or "Find member's Posts"
The Rookie
QUOTE (72 dudes @ Wed, 9 Jun 2021 - 09:59) *
Apologies for breaking the house rules. I did search for my original post but found they only went back 28 days.

No they don't, but the standard filter is that, you can change the filter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.