Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Private Reg plate - no insurance ticket
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Sam999
Good evenng all

I am writing this post re a friend of my daughters who is 19 and has recently changed her reg to a private one but forgot to notify her insurer. She was pulled over recently for no insurance but explained she did have insurance but had forgotten to tell her insurer. After having her car impounded she has been given a ticket for no insurance and been told she will have 6 points and have to retake both her theory and driving test as within the first 2 years.

What is the advice please - my thoughts are that this is not fair to treat an insured driver who has made an admin mistake the same s someone who has intentionally avoided getting insurance. She has already spoken to her insurer to get it updated and was told that had a claim been made it would still have been honoured.

Help !
QUOTE (Sam999 @ Sun, 16 May 2021 - 22:37) *
Good evenng all

I am writing this post re a friend of my daughters who is 19 and has recently changed her reg to a private one but forgot to notify her insurer. She was pulled over recently for no insurance but explained she did have insurance but had forgotten to tell her insurer. After having her car impounded she has been given a ticket for no insurance and been told she will have 6 points and have to retake both her theory and driving test as within the first 2 years.

What is the advice please - my thoughts are that this is not fair to treat an insured driver who has made an admin mistake the same s someone who has intentionally avoided getting insurance. She has already spoken to her insurer to get it updated and was told that had a claim been made it would still have been honoured.

Help !

She needs to ask her insurer for written confirmation that she was covered.
andy_foster
QUOTE (Sam999 @ Sun, 16 May 2021 - 22:37) *
I am writing this post re a friend of my daughters

Send three and four pence, we’re going to a dance!

has recently changed her reg to a private one but forgot to notify her insurer. She was pulled over recently for no insurance but explained she did have insurance but had forgotten to tell her insurer. After having her car impounded she has been given a ticket for no insurance and been told she will have 6 points and have to retake both her theory and driving test as within the first 2 years.

AIUI, it is the vehicle (and driver) that is insured, not the VRM. Or to put it another way, if she had transferred the VRM on the policy to a Ferrari, would the policy cover it.

The obvious first thing to do would be for her to contact her insurers, explain what has happened and ask for a letter of indemnity.

What is the advice please - my thoughts are that this is not fair to treat an insured driver who has made an admin mistake the same s someone who has intentionally avoided getting insurance.

Driving without insurance is a “strict liability offence” - intent is not part of the offence, although it could be an aggravating factor.

She has already spoken to her insurer to get it updated and was told that had a claim been made it would still have been honoured.

If only they could confirm that in some kind of document or letter...
cp8759
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Sun, 16 May 2021 - 23:13) *
The obvious first thing to do would be for her to contact her insurers, explain what has happened and ask for a letter of indemnity.

+1, this could see the whole thing solved, though you won't get the towing fee back.
The Rookie
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Mon, 17 May 2021 - 17:18) *
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Sun, 16 May 2021 - 23:13) *

+1, this could see the whole thing solved, though you won't get the towing fee back.

Indeed, but for the price of a stamp it’s worth asking I’d suggest. Depends what was said at the roadside, but presumably the insurer wasn’t contacted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.