Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP filled in wrong
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Frugalldriver
I am looking for some advice. I am registered keeper of a car and received an NIP. During the date of the offence there were a few journeys made on the route on and around the date, and unfortunately the letter was brought to my attention about 3 weeks after it was delivered. So I was in a rush to send it back and named my wife who I thought was driving.

A week later my wife received a NIP but during this time I have realised it was actually me driving, I have managed to establish this now because after another conversation with my wife we established that she can’t have been in the vehicle at the time.

what is the best way to proceed? Can my wife just reply to her NIP naming me or will this open either of us up to more serious charges?

southpaw82
Your wife must reply to her own s 172 notice (what you are calling an NIP). It would seem to do little harm if you were to also write a letter saying that, on reflection, your earlier nomination was wrong and in fact you were driving. The police may want you to fill out a fresh s 172 notice. It seems unlikely they’d prosecute you for the earlier incorrect nomination unless they suspect you’re trying to engineer a time out (i.e. six months from the date of the speeding offence).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.