Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a maximum number of tickets you can get for one journey
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
Q1x not taken
I have been an idiot and driven around the M25 to South London and back through Surrey and Kent on multiple occasions.

I was looking out for the yellow painted gantry cameras and average speed checks and did not see the hidden cameras in the Surrey area until I noticed I had set one off. I now realise Kent has similar hidden cameras. Are all the hidden gantry cameras turned on at the same time?

I am now panicking that I will shortly receive dozens of nips incoming as I think I probably sped around the motorway on multiple consecutive days in the same week. Probably around 80 mph each time.

How would the police treat this? Can I ask for every offence to be heard together? Even if they were on different days or in different counties? What effect would this have on the sentence? Would this make any difference to the fine as I cannot afford to pay multiple months of my salary in fines to a court? It is likely I will lose my job if I am banned and I have dependents.

I’d really like to know what I can do in order that I can brace myself for the impending storm.

Thanks for any replies you can give to any of the questions
The Rookie
If it’s classed as a single offence then you only get penalised for that one offence, that is effectively for the court to decide based on the facts of the case (distance, time, average speed). But no, in effect there is no maximum and it’s quite possible to lose your licence in one journey. If your recorded speed was less than 79mph (probably 81-83 on a speedo) then the police will take no action, for up to 86mph one of the events will qualify for a training course and avoid points.
Q1x not taken
Thanks The Rookie. Do you know what magistrate or court would decide if it was the same speeding incident if I hit cameras from Surrey to Kent on the same journey?
andy_foster
It is difficult to give meaningful advice on the basis of you thinking you might have been caught by one camera and could conceivably have been caught by any number of other cameras in any number of locations, and occasions, and without knowing what speeds you were doing at and between those locations, or when.

If you are the registered keeper and your details are correct, any NIPs should arrive within 14 days from the date(s) of offence(s). Unless and until this happens there is little meaningful advice we can offer beyond the first sentence of this paragraph.
The Slithy Tove
QUOTE (Q1x not taken @ Fri, 11 Jun 2021 - 19:49) *
I was looking out for the yellow painted gantry cameras and average speed checks and did not see the hidden cameras in the Surrey area until I noticed I had set one off. I now realise Kent has similar hidden cameras. Are all the hidden gantry cameras turned on at the same time?

They're all on all the time. as far as I know. And they're not all that hidden, really, the HADECS ones mounted on the side of the gantries.
notmeatloaf
The flashes on the HADECS3 are fairly bright if the journeys were at night.

Otherwise any argument of a continuous offence will rely on whether your speed reduced to at or below 70mph at a point between the cameras. This would depend on your recolletion of the journey as well as the time vs distance between the cameras.

FWIW they really aren't "secret". They are painted yellow and on a massive arm the the left of a gantry. Usually one between each junction.
Q1x not taken
FWIW It’s the grey cameras on top of the gantries not the yellow ones on the side I’m most concerned by. I don’t think there are any on the motorway in Herts, Essex etc but there definitely are in Surrey!

I was looking for the yellow ones.
TMC Towcester
QUOTE (Q1x not taken @ Sat, 12 Jun 2021 - 06:33) *
FWIW It’s the grey cameras on top of the gantries not the yellow ones on the side I’m most concerned by. I don’t think there are any on the motorway in Herts, Essex etc but there definitely are in Surrey!

I was looking for the yellow ones.

The grey ones may be traffic flow cameras operated by Highways England. Not all cameras are for speed detection. As said already - if you were travelling at an indicated 80 mph you may in fact have been recorded at a few mph less (dependingon the vehicle, change of wheel/tyres etc) and therefor not transgressed sufficiently to be 'nicked'. You have 14 days from the last journey if you are the RK on the V5 and the details are correct.
Ahelpinggand
I'm assuming the OP is referring to the original gantry cameras

Most of these (but not all) have been decommissioned and replaced with HADECS 3

14 day wait for the keeper I'm afraid OP
notmeatloaf
Highways England (then the Highways Agency) confirmed that all the old HADECS2 cameras were switched off by 2016 to comply with the tokenist "all speed cameras must be yellow" pronouncement in 2015.

Although of course it is not obligatory, presumably it was seen as poor form if HE didn't comply.
Ahelpinggand
Thanks NML I thought as much but wasn't certain. I know all M6 & the M1 south of Leicestershire were removed but wasn't sure if blanket or not
Gerfc1
I believe the HADECS3 are only approved up for enforcing speed limit up to 60mph.
andy_foster
They are approved for [all] speed limits down to 20mph.
roythebus
We use the M20/M25 from Kent to the A1 every weekend. I generally pick up 1 speeding ticket every 3 years, usually at silly-o-clock in the morning coming back from work.

The yellow cameras on the M20 only seem to work with the variable speed limits, Dartford Crossing average speed sometimes, but only at night, M25 round to the A1/J23 operate at random times if that's any help.

the chances of getting a ticket from every camera is minimal. the system couldn't cope with the workload! smile.gif
Gerfc1
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Sat, 12 Jun 2021 - 20:24) *

It says that HADECS is only approved for speed limits up to 60mph, see link below.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/go...d-meters-09.pdf
The Rookie
And that is true, but we were discussing HADECS3 which is a totally different product. (And 2019 versus 2006).
Jlc
QUOTE (Gerfc1 @ Mon, 14 Jun 2021 - 09:38) *
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Sat, 12 Jun 2021 - 20:24) *

It says that HADECS is only approved for speed limits up to 60mph, see link below.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/go...d-meters-09.pdf

Crank your head and try this one.
roythebus
So presumably this includes NSL as a displayed speed limit?
Jlc
QUOTE (roythebus @ Mon, 14 Jun 2021 - 11:46) *
So presumably this includes NSL as a displayed speed limit?

The type approval doesn't need to specify that - only that it's for the enforcement of limits.

But HADECS3 can be configured to enforce NSL whether displayed or not on the gantry... (There was the rumour that no displayed limit was no enforcement but not true...)
The Rookie
The NSL is a displayed speed limit whether displayed on that gantry or not (no repeaters being required) perhaps not the best wording but no court will accept that as a reason why it couldn't be used!
cp8759
Type approval is not needed to make evidence legally admissible, so this is all academic anyway.
Gerfc1
Thanks for the clarifying
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.