Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Legislation for double yellow exemptions
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
DeezA
Can someone please help me out and link the legislation mentioning exemptions for parking on double yellows? Mostly trying to educate myself on where to park while making delivering. I’ve had a look through the pinned posts and can’t find it. I’ve only come across parking on footways.

Thanks in advance.
DancingDad
Exemptions for delivering come under loading exemptions and are standard within traffic orders.
Don't worry on legislation for this, the exemption exists on every yellow line in the country.

Except:---

Check for kerb blips that would indicate a loading restriction (double means at any time, single there should be a pole sign showing times)
No loading exemption for footway parking in Greater London (or at least not that is much use)
You will need proof of activity should you get a PCN
No exemption for bus stops, zigzags or red routes..the latter except in marked bays when times allow.

Key cases explain a lot of does and don'ts...Bosworth and Jane Packer
https://www.londontribunals.gov.uk/sites/de...r%20Hamlets.pdf
https://www.londontribunals.gov.uk/sites/de...ses/LOADADJ.pdf
hcandersen
OP, also see this:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/me...ad-markings.pdf

Waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, pavement and verge. You
may stop to load or unload (unless there are also loading restrictions as described below) or while passengers board or alight. Double yellow lines mean no waiting at any time, unless there are signs that specifically indicate seasonal restrictions. The times at which the restrictions apply for other road markings are shown on nearby plates or on entry signs to controlled parking zones. If no days are shown on the signs, the restrictions are in force every day including Sundays and Bank Holidays.

You should know this as you hold a licence.

Qu. If I park on a yellow line (which did not have an associated loading restriction), whether single or double, could I get issued with a PCN?

Ans. Of course.

Why?

Because if you are not with the vehicle or there are no obvious signs of loading/unloading(which also means delivering and collecting) then a CEO would presume the worst, and why not?

If this situation occurred you would need to prove you were delivering etc. in order to be able to claim the exemption.

Moral: get everything in writing where possible e.g. delivery instructions, delivery notes AND as we're in the mobile phone era take YOUR OWN PHOTOS of goods you unload or collect. Create your own album, it would take a few seconds and provided the activity was on yellow lines you could discard after a day.
DeezA
Thanks for these.
DancingDad
Add the the list of exceptions that yellow lines in car parks or private land may not carry the same exemptions...park on them for any reason at your peril.
The Rookie
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Thu, 7 Jul 2022 - 07:37) *
Add the the list of exceptions that yellow lines in car parks or private land may not carry the same exemptions...park on them for any reason at your peril.

Seconded, on private land DYL with no kerb blips often are held to convey no stopping, yet you have to stop to read the sign to find that out (go figure....).
cp8759
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 7 Jul 2022 - 09:07) *

Seconded, on private land DYL with no kerb blips often are held to convey no stopping, yet you have to stop to read the sign to find that out (go figure....).

Whether they're used to convey no stopping and whether they can be enforced as such are obviously different matters.
DancingDad
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Thu, 7 Jul 2022 - 10:55) *
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 7 Jul 2022 - 09:07) *

Whether they're used to convey no stopping and whether they can be enforced as such are obviously different matters.

If the aim is to avoid penalties or charges and to minimise hassle if one does appear, best to treat yellow lines in car parks and private land as do not even think about it.
roythebus
Yellow lines on private land aren't worth the paint they're written with. smile.gif
The Rookie
No, they convey whatever the signage tells you they convey.

PPC’s have most certainly won court cases for stopping on yellow lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.